Sunday, November 04, 2007

Vicodin and Baking: Not a Good Combination

I became very sick last week with strep throat. What a yucky and painful ailment. Strep really knocked me on my booty, as did the pain pills, Vicodin, I was prescribed. BUT, life goes on and I had to fulfill my baking duty for providing dessert for Nathan's soccer team party. I love to bake. It is one of my favorite hobbies and something I've done a lot of. But because I was sick, Scott and I decided together to simplify the baking process by just making cookies and brownies from the box. How can I screw that up? Well, I did...or should I say Vicodin had a hand in it. While the brownies were cooking in the oven, I, for no reason other than being in a fog, simply turned the oven off. This was a huge mistake not caught until the timer went off and Scott took the gooey blob out of the oven. Then, to try and make it right, the conversation went like this:

Me: I'll just whip up a batch of my Snickerdoodles.

Scott: Are you sure? I'm sure we'll be fine without them.

Me: No, I can do it quickly.

I got to work making Snickerdoodles. I've made this recipe so many times, I practically know it by heart. But Vicodin doesn't play that way. My first batch of Snickerdoodles came out of the oven. They looked like hockey pucks. My second batch did too. What was going on? I read and reread the recipe. And ever so slowly, the fog lifted, the sun shined, and I realized I added baking powder, not baking soda. Ugh. I have my baking pride, so I whipped up a whole new mix of dough and made it all OK...and returned to bed in my drug-induced fog.

Snickerdoodle on the left: baking powder
Snicerdoodle on the right: baking soda

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That is a funny story! I would have been so frustrated...I would have cried and then gone to the bakery to pick something up. I hope you're feeling better, though!

becca said...

Ohmygod, hilarious! At least there's some humor to compensate for the strep-misery. And it reminds me of being on pain pills post-delivery. Barnes and Noble never looked so prrretttyy.

Get better soon!